Vision: Responsible Teens Making Responsible Decisions Behind the Wheel.
Mission: Positively influence destructive driving behavior in the high school student population by fostering a collaborative community effort to send a consistent safety message.
The HSIPC was formed in 2003. Charleston County EMS and the HSIPC hold programs at local high schools so students can understand the dangers of drinking, driving and drugs.
“The purpose of the coalition is to influence and change unsafe driving behavior of high school students especially concerning their attitude about drinking, drug use while driving, speeding, distracted driving and seatbelt use and embrace the coalition’s DUI Awareness Program.
The members chose to focus the plan by identifying priority areas in injury prevention, promoting best practices and interventions, improving resource sustainability for injury prevention initiatives, and advocating for policy solutions on its mission of preventing injuries through community collaboration, capacity building, and action.
The coalition provides monthly, multi-agency, coordinated injury prevention activities in each school.
With our multi-agency coordination, we have formed strong bonds now with many organizations and local government agencies.
The Coalition’s founding members are Charleston County EMS; the Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) Trauma Center; South Carolina Highway Patrol; North Charleston Police Department and SAFE KIDS Trident Area.
Current members and their agencies participating with the coalition and our events include:
- Bon Secours Saint Francis Hospital
- Charleston County EMS
- Charleston Police Department
- Dorchester County EMS
- East Cooper Regional Medical Center
- Medical University of South Carolina
- MUSC Trauma Center
- Roper Hospital
- RSFH Emergency Services
Other agencies and sponsors who belong to the HSIPC are:
- Ashley River Fire Department
- Berkeley County EMS
- Berkeley County Fire Department
- Charleston County Coroner’s Office
- Charleston County’s Department of Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Services (DAODAS), Charleston Center
- Charleston County Government
- Charleston County School District
- Charleston County Sheriff’s Office
- Charleston County Volunteer Fire & Rescue Squad
- City of Charleston Fire Department
- Coastal Crisis Chaplaincy
- Dorchester County Coroner’s Office
- East Cooper Emergency Physicians
- Emergency Nurses Association (ENA), www.ena.org, www.sc-ena.org
- Health Occupational Students of America (HOSA)
- John Dodd’s, III, Esquire
- Mt. Pleasant Fire Department
- Mt. Pleasant Police Department
- Numerous Volunteers
- North Charleston Fire Department
- North Charleston Police Department
- Old Fort Fire Department
- Pearlestine Distributors
- SADD (Students Against Destructive Decisions)
- SAFE KIDS Trident Area
- City of Charleston Police Department
- South Carolina Highway Patrol
- Summerville Police Department
- Summerville Fire Department
The HSIPC continues to grow each year with more agencies coming on board and is now in five area high schools.
- Ashley Hall High School
- Ashley Ridge High School
- Bishop England High School
- Fort Dorchester High School
- Wando High School
- West Ashley High School